12 Nov How to Maximize Results From Anti-Aging Skin Care Products
Dermatologists reveal what works best
How you utilize your anti-aging skin care products affects your results.
To help patients get the very best results from these products, dermatologists provide these suggestions.
- Start with one product. Using several anti-aging products at the same time can irritate your skin. When you irritate your skin, signs of aging become more noticeable.
- Test the product before applying it to your face or hands. Even hypoallergenic products can cause a skin reaction. To test a product, apply a small amount to your inner forearm. Repeat this twice a day for four to five days. If your skin looks normal — free of redness, itch, and other reactions — you can apply it to your face and other skin.
- Stop using a product that stings, burns, or tingles. These sensations mean that the product irritates your skin. Irritated skin looks older. If you are using a product prescribed by your dermatologist, ask if this should be happening before you stop using it. Some prescription-strength products will burn or sting.
- Follow directions. Some products contain active ingredients that can cause problems if you apply more than directed. You could end up with clogged pores, blotchy skin, or excessively dry skin. Read the instructions, and use as directed.
- Give the product time to work. A moisturizer can plump up fine lines in a few days, but most products take at least six weeks to work. Sometimes it can take up to three months. Be patient and give the product time to work.
- Continue using, if you want to continue seeing results. People often stop using a product once they see results.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun protection helps to reduce signs of premature aging on your skin. It also allows your skin to repair and renew itself and reduces your risk for getting skin cancer.
- Use moisturizer. Moisturizer traps water in your skin. This extra moisture can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and brighten your complexion.
- Forget about tanning. Tanning speeds up signs of aging on your skin. Tanning can lead to premature wrinkles, age spots, and other unwanted signs of aging.
Dermatologists share their tips
Searching for an anti-aging skin care product can feel like a hit-or-miss experience. With a lot of options, it can be hard to know which products to choose. These dermatologists tips can help you shop with confidence.
- Start with sunscreen and moisturizer. Dermatologists agree that sunscreen and moisturizer are the two most-effective anti-aging products you can buy. Using these every day can make a noticeable difference.When shopping for anti-aging sunscreen, select one that offers all of the following:
- Broad spectrum
- SPF 30 (or higher)
- Water resistance
- An anti-aging moisturizer helps to minimize fine lines. It is so effective that moisturizer is the secret ingredient in many anti-aging products.Using a moisturizer with sunscreen is fine. Just be sure that the product offers broad-spectrum coverage and an SPF of 30 or higher.If you will spend time outdoors during the day, you should apply a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance. Be sure to reapply your sunscreen every two hours while outdoors.
Maximize the results you see
Once you’ve selected a product, you can maximize its effectiveness by following tips that dermatologists share with their patients.